Sunday, May 2, 2010

A pleasant end to a stressful weekend

This place has been home to me the past year and a half. Transfering from WCTC to Alverno was a decision I didn't know was going to be such an amazing one at the time. Today I had to turn in two papers one 15 and one 17 pages, and then conduct a 20 minute sales meeting and close the sale. Needless to say I was completely stressed this weekend, with multiple projects, work and just plain old life flying by. I finished my papers, handed them in, did my sales pitch, and absolutely passed it with flying colors. My assessor was a graduate professor I had never met. When she critiqued me and told me how well I did, she added a comment I was surprised by. She told me that she had heard wonderful things about me on campus. For me not ever hearing her name, I thought this was odd. I responded by asking her who, and she said quite a few, well all of your professors. I was flattered that my name had come up in discussion at all with faculty from the graduate program, and went to my teachers office after that all smiles to thank him for the class, and update him on my status at work. To my surprise, 2 of my teachers within 5 minutes of my sitting at his desk popped their head in to talk about how wonderful of a student I was. My favorite, Bob, popped in joking around saying... "Craig, she's an alright student...most of the time..." with a huge smile on his face. Craig, my professor (not the type of guy to give praise, or compliments for that matter) responded with a actually... she's an exceptional student. She should be graduating with honors. I'm going to be nominating her. Bob and I both looked a little taken aback. This was a man that told students flat out he wouldn't write them recommendation letters when they asked. Then Bob agreed.  I had to pinch myself, cuz I really thought I might still be dreaming. Maybe I overslept, missed my assessment, and this was just the outcome I would have liked to have happened. * * Nope it was real. I continued my conversation with Craig, asked him if he would be willing to write me a letter of recommendation (something he doesn't do very often) to which he responded he would love to. Needless to say it was nice to feel as though my hard work really has been paying off all along. I realized how thankful I am to go to a school where all the teachers actually interact, discuss their students, and really evaluate them by their character, ability, effort, and classwork. I've always sang high praises of Alverno. They push you to your very limits, but they don't just let you fall. They want you to fly. Apparently I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment